Drugs and Health Products
Medical Use of Marijuana
Health Canada grants access to marihuana for medical use to those who are suffering from grave and debilitating illnesses. It is important to note that the Next link will take you to another Web site Marihuana Medical Access Regulations deal exclusively with the medical use of marihuana. They do not address the issue of legalizing marihuana for general consumption. To learn more about the Regulations and any recent changes, please view the page devoted exclusively to Acts and Regulations.
Physicians who complete a medical declaration under the Marihuana Medical Access Regulations...
Legislation requires physicians to sign a declaration of a patient’s intention to use medical marijuana, and also requires patients to discuss risks with physicians.Read More
Great steps have been made in the past decade towards legalizing marijuana for medicinal use. Patients suffering from many grave and debilitating illnesses are being accepted by Health Canada to consume, posses & produce marijuana.
Health Canada has Two Illness categories.
Category One: Illnesses such as cancer, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury or disease, HIV/AIDS infections, arthritis and epilepsy.
Category Two: Applicants with other debilitating symptom(s) or medical condition(s) that are not included Category One.
All applicants must have their doctor or specialist complete forms which are then sent with your application to Health Canada to obtain your license.
Regulations regarding Medical marijuana are found below. Any amendments to the MMAR (Marihuana Medical Access Regulation) are published through the Canada Gazette. Relevent publications are listed below.
- Canada Gazette Vol.142, No.11 - May 27,2009
- Canada Gazette Vol.141, No.20 - October 3,2007
- Canada Gazette Vol.139, No.13 - June 29,2005
- Canada Gazette Vol.138, No.23 - November 17,2004
- Canada Gazette Vol.138, No.43 - October 23,2004
- Canada Gazette Vol.137, No.26 - December 17,2003
- Canada Gazette Vol.135, No.14 - July 4,2001
- Canada Gazette Vol.135, No.4 - April 7,,2001
- Canada Gazette Vol.135, No.1 - January 6, 2001
- Canada Gazette Vol.132, No.7 - April 1,1997